Hot borscht soup, is a soup of Ukrainian origin that is popular in many European countries. Usually it contains beets as well as hearty chunks of beef and beef bone broth. It is often served topped with sour cream and dill. Kefir Guru kefir cold borscht is less familiar in North America, but has many of the same lovely colors and flavours as the hot beef borscht.
You will need:
4 cups of milk kefir
1½ pounds of beets
1 large cucumber
4 eggs – hard-boiled
5 small scallions
¼ cup chopped dill
salt to taste
4 medium potatoes, boiled or baked until tender
1-2 tablespoons sour cream(optional)
- Roast beets at 375°F until fork-tender. Remove from oven and cool it down. Peel beets; chop into tinny pieces.
- Finely peal and chop cucumber, chop eggs, and scallions and add to beets. Also add chopped dill.
- Add milk kefir to the vegetables and if you like – season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For a thinner soup, add water, up to one quart, and adjust seasoning as necessary. For a thicker soup, add 1-2 tablespoons sour cream. Remember to mix it well.
- Cool down at least 20 minutes before serving. To serve, either dice the potatoes and add them to the soup or serve on the side.
Have fun !